PDA

View Full Version : The future of racing

Droog
September 17th, 2008, 10:03 PM
So, all of this is just random thoughts and observations on my part, so take for what it's worth.

I'm out of the loop for the time being. My notch is sleeping comfortably in a building three hours away, and with not one, but two new babies, a wife who's going to law school next year, looking into buying a house at some point in the near future (I hope), and my own education to complete at some point, I'm guessing a minimum of three years before I even start on it, much less finish it. But I can't leave that life entirely. Even if it's just as an observer, I have to be involved. Now, I'm guessing that KCIR is on it's way out. Well, more than a guess, I'd be willing to bet money on it. I hate to say that, it's an historic track and it'll be a shame to see it go, but go it will. Real estate developers exist to make money, and even though it pains me to say it, there ain't no money in owning a drag strip, unless you can fill the schedule with lots of races with the top sanctioning bodies, and that takes alot of legwork that no developer is going to want to do. And who can blame them? Commercial and private development=more money and alot less work than trying to promote and run a dragstrip.

Next up is Heartland Park. Nothing concrete here, just lots of rumors. Rumors that point to HPT going away in the next decade. It may be BS, but the loss of the SCCA runoffs wasn't a good sign. Even worse when you consider that the SCCA is based in Topeka. But apart from the fact that HPT has typically let the road course section go to hell for some reason, the drag strip has it's share of issues. Lots of whispers about NHRA dropping the Topeka race, too, and if that happens... well you can't maintain that track with what you make from a few bracket races and the Friday night grudge runs. And I doubt they could bring in anyone to replace NHRA. S/Bs like NMCA, NMRA, etc are fairly comfortable where they are, and I don't see Topeka being able to offer them anything to entice them here. But, who knows, we'll just have to see where that leads.

Babies are crying, more later.

FMGT1999
September 18th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Sad but I agree very true, there just isn't enough of a market for drag racing here to support two tracks on the level your talking about. I was really hoping that they would shut both of the drag strips (tracks) and open a new state of the art one out by the speedway, then it might stand a chance of lasting and get more people interested in Drag Racing.

Only time will tell, I bet KCIR is gone in 5 years of less from now, unless something major happens to keep it alive.

JMO...
Kyle

tsquare
September 18th, 2008, 10:09 PM
There has been some talk of adding stands at the speedway, especially if they can get a couple of more weekends lined up. If they do, one of the plans is to add a road course, which would allow them to attract some other types of motor sport.

It would not be hard to incorporate a dragstrip into the mix.

If they were to do all of that, they could have a major race of one kind or another every couple of weeks during the season.

While I have never had more than passing interest in drag racing, I hate to see any track close as it reduces the options for all motorsports fans.

Droog
September 18th, 2008, 10:19 PM
So anyway, back to this.

Where's that leave us? There's a couple of tracks in Missouri. There's Mo-Kan down south, but it's a schlepp. Great Bend is even further away. Manhattan is a cool old track, but it's only an eighth mile, and you never know from year to year if they're even going to open the gates in the spring.

I know alot of people on this site don't like street racing, and I don't blame them, but what do we do? I'm never going to stop racing, but I want to do it somewhere safe. I won't ever rule out the street, but I want a deserted, out of the way street where I'm not going to put innocent bystanders in danger.

When I was younger, we asked the city council in my hometown to allow us to race at the municipal airport. It was a small town, and there were never any planes trying to land there at 2:00 on a Saturday morning. We got shot down, of course (no pun intended), so we took matters into our own hands. Back in the 50's, when they straightened and leveled the highways, they left short stretches of the old roads scattered throughout the countryside. Well, we found one of these remnants about 10 miles south of town, about a half mile long, straight, flat, and best of all, it was a good eighth mile back of the highway. After getting permission to run there from the farmer whose pasture it was in, we spent some time fixing the potholes, and when we were done, we had a nice little private dragstrip. No civilians in harm's way, no police (they knew we ran there, but it was private property), no neighbors (closest house was on the other side of the mile section), and we could control who raced, so we kept the dips**ts out.

I'm not saying this is a solution, but I just want to illustrate it's possible to do your own thing without endangering anyone, getting arrested, or having to put up with stupid people. Also, anyone who's interested in learning more could Google the L.A. Street Racers Association, The Brotherhood of Street Racers, or Big Willie and Tomika and see how they did it in SoCal. It's quite a bit to type here, and I'm typed out for the moment.

Post up some comments!!!!

Droog
September 18th, 2008, 10:22 PM
There has been some talk of adding stands at the speedway, especially if they can get a couple of more weekends lined up. If they do, one of the plans is to add a road course, which would allow them to attract some other types of motor sport.

It would not be hard to incorporate a dragstrip into the mix.

If they were to do all of that, they could have a major race of one kind or another every couple of weeks during the season.

While I have never had more than passing interest in drag racing, I hate to see any track close as it reduces the options for all motorsports fans.

I'd love for that to happen. But they proposed a dragstrip there a few years ago, and in fact had the money lined up, had pre-approval; the deal was all but done as I understood it, and then.... nothing. Does anyone know what happened there?

tsquare
September 18th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Way back in the dark ages, when Mustangs, Camaros and GTO's were rare (1966-1970 or so), the local "drag strip" was Metcalf from 87th Street to 95th Street. There was nothing south of 87th except for King Louie and French Market (K-Mart at 95th). It died when they built the Glenwood complex at 91st Street.

OP Police kind of ignored it on Friday and Saturday nights, as long as the racing didn't get to wild. Occasionally they would write a few tickets for "Excessive Accleration" just to let everyone know who was in charge. One Cop would (allegedly, I can't confirm it) offer to race in his patrol car from the light for "Double or Nothing" on the ticket.

When they opened I-435 from I-35 to 71 Highway, I had an OP Cop tell me, while I was putting the gas in his cruiser, "If you kids want to race, go to I-435, there is never going to be enough traffic to justify patrolling it!"

Been a few changes since then.

01greygt
September 19th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Well, we have a track down here in Wichita :)

ponygrl
September 19th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Way back in the dark ages, when Mustangs, Camaros and GTO's were rare (1966-1970 or so), the local "drag strip" was Metcalf from 87th Street to 95th Street. There was nothing south of 87th except for King Louie and French Market (K-Mart at 95th). It died when they built the Glenwood complex at 91st Street.

OP Police kind of ignored it on Friday and Saturday nights, as long as the racing didn't get to wild. Occasionally they would write a few tickets for "Excessive Accleration" just to let everyone know who was in charge. One Cop would (allegedly, I can't confirm it) offer to race in his patrol car from the light for "Double or Nothing" on the ticket.

When they opened I-435 from I-35 to 71 Highway, I had an OP Cop tell me, while I was putting the gas in his cruiser, "If you kids want to race, go to I-435, there is never going to be enough traffic to justify patrolling it!"

Been a few changes since then.

Remember the good old days!!! :burnout: Those lasted until the early 80's then the crack down started!!
________
NEW MEXICO MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY (http://newmexico.dispensaries.org/)

comic
September 19th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Turning to the Street?

Been racing something since I was 8, Only on "Race tracks"
"Street racing".....C'mon there is no real race there........ just....... wanabees
Taking a street car to drag strip or road course and seeing how it does is one thing, it's not a "race car".
If your serious about racing you will find a way to do it(on Tracks)
Race cars would be destroyed by the pot holes and other crap very quickly.

Have you ever had something go way wrong?
Ever made a mistake at 140+...... I have(and still learning from it)
The street is not as forgiving, let alone the safety equipment that is involved

So "street racing" not a good idea

Droog
September 19th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Turning to the Street?

Been racing something since I was 8, Only on "Race tracks"
"Street racing".....C'mon there is no real race there........ just....... wanabees
Taking a street car to drag strip or road course and seeing how it does is one thing, it's not a "race car".
If your serious about racing you will find a way to do it(on Tracks)
Race cars would be destroyed by the pot holes and other crap very quickly.

Have you ever had something go way wrong?
Ever made a mistake at 140+...... I have(and still learning from it)
The street is not as forgiving, let alone the safety equipment that is involved

So "street racing" not a good idea

Did you bother to read what I wrote, or did you just get to the phrase "street racing" and reply? :eek13:

Droog
September 19th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Well, we have a track down here in Wichita :)

Forgot about Wichita. My bad. :thanks:

nitrobrother
September 20th, 2008, 11:34 PM
A few thoughts...

US-36 up in Osborne (east of St. Joe) is an 1/8th mile that runs a whole series of programs, including jet cars, altereds, and so on (or at least used to, it's been a couple of years since I've been up there).

KCIR has been fighting its neighbors since it opened up...eventually the money of the developers building houses on that ***-awful rocky cliff will win out. Someone needs to be planning for when that happens. I spent A LOT of Wednesday nights at that track when it was $0.25 to get in and $0.25 per pass. Pretty cheap entertainment for a poor college kid!

A track out at the Speedway makes the most sense at this point in time since they already make noise and all that stuff that neighbors get their panties in a wad over. I would imagine that they wouldn't mind a few more events, but your Friday night test-n-tunes/grudge races would be closed down while the NASCAR/Indy/Goodguys/whatever events where going on.

I don't know what happened to the drag-strip-at-Kansas-Speedway plan, but I heard everything from IHRA sanction to Bill France "doing something". Now that the Z-Max track is such a success, maybe something could take place.

I really like HPT...been going there ever since it opened (including when the NASCAR trucks ran the road course; I've also been a corner marshal for a lot of bike races there) and we ran the best speed in the funny car there. It's a good facility (to race at...it sucks to be a spectator and have to walk all over the place) and deserves to be kept up. The road course suffered under the ownership of the oil guy, who was in to drag racing and dirt events (CORR, the short track). I think the present management won't let the road course go away.

Street action in KC used to be Front Street, State Avenue, Blue Ridge (my old haunt...from the McDonald's on 87th out to the one in Grandview...a nice long cruise) and does anyone remember the "Raytown Flats"? When they built 470 there was a nice long section right at James A. Reed that was "popular".

Sorry for the "War and Peace"!

FMGT1999
September 21st, 2008, 12:57 AM
I know where US-36 is at, it's a cool track, my problem with it is I am setup to run 1/4 mile tracks not 1/8 mile tracks. I do wish something would happen to get a new 1/4 mile drag strip build close to the speedway and with modern and state of the art equipment here in KC, then maybe we could beg to get the NMRA, NHRA and other Drag Racing Asssociation to come back out here and show them we can meet there standards.

JMO o_O
Kyle

reaper
February 12th, 2009, 12:32 AM
This hasnt been touched on in awhile but i remember when the last time the NMRA was here i was talking to a couple racers and my buddy Gene hindman who was running pure street at the time said most of the racers loved kcir but hated the grass, no real amenities like showers and thought there could be better bathrooms etc. They said that was the main reason why they thought they would not be back to kcir. I have not been to the track in awhile did they get new owners? I thought they did and were redoing the place a little at a time maybe this will help bring some good races back to town.